The City Museum Kathmandu is located in the Kingsway area, in the heart of Kathmandu city.
Housed in a brand new contemporary minimalist building, the museum and galleries are on the 3rd floor, towering over old growth trees home to assorted birds, and minutes away from the Narayanhitti Palace Museum and other historical sites and tourist attractions.
On the second floor, visitors will also be able to rest and refresh at the CMK Café, and shop for the most unique and quality Nepali souvenirs at the CMK Shop offering a range unique and quality products representing Nepal in its most elegant and eccentric ways, some of them exclusively available only here.
10 AM to 6 PM
The City Museum: Ticketed accordingly:
Rs.50 (Fifty rupees) for Nepalis
US$1 (One dollar) for SAARC citizens
US$2.50 (Two dollars and fifty cents) for others.
The City Gallery: Free
Parking: Yes. Despite being in Durbarmargh, we have a dedicated outdoor garden parking space designed for both motor vehicles as well as bicycles.
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes. Wheelchairs can take the elevator from the basement straight to our 3rd or 2nd floor spaces. A Restroom on the 2nd floor has been retrofitted for wheelchair accessibility.
Wi-Fi: Yes. We also offer a cup of fresh organic Nepali coffee to all our guests who “Check-In” at the CMK and/or “Like” the CMK page on Facebook, or Tweet about us.
Photography in the Museum: Photography is permitted and encouraged only in the Museum’s 3rd floor ‘Courtyard’ section, where you can enjoy our pond and open air.
Photography in the Gallery: As per request of the on going exhibit at the time.
Photography in the Fig Café and CMK Shop: Click away! We offer a cup of fresh organic Nepali coffee to all our guests who “Check-In” at the CMK, and/or “Like” the CMK page on Facebook, or Tweet about us.
In the Vicinity:
Located in the heart of Kathmandu, CMK’s neighbors are historic sites as well as the country’s tourist hub. Below, a quick list list of interesting and notable sites within 2 minutes to 10 minutes of walking distances from CMK:
(Listed by estimated proximity, from nearest to farthest)
- Historic Yak & Yeti Hotel and its Red Palace (Walking Time from CMK: 1 min or less)
- The Narayanahitti Palace Museum, the residence of Nepal’s former Monarchy (Walking Time from CMK: About 2 mins or less)
- Ghanta Ghar, the Clock Tower, and the historical Pancha Kashmiri Takiya Jame Masjid mosque (Walking Time from CMK: About 5 mins or less)
- The Royal Academy Hall (Walking Time from CMK: About 5 mins or less)
- Rani Pokhari (Walking Time from CMK: About 5 mins or less)
- Fora Durbar, The American Club (Walking Time from CMK: Less than 10 mins)
- Garden of Dreams (Walking Time from CMK: Less than 10 mins)
- The South Asian Association of Regional Corporation Secretariat (Walking Time from CMK: Less than 10 mins)
- Thamel Tourist District (Walking Time from CMK: About 10 mins or less)
- The restored Jai Nepal Cinema (Walking Time from CMK: About 10 mins)